Sunday, January 27, 2013

Prepare for the Jump to Warp Speed


Not much creative energy tonight, so you will have to settle for an information dump and a few prayer requests. Thanks for reading anyway.

It has been great having two weeks here to get settled in and acclimated, learn my way around a bit, reconnect with old friends, and make new ones. The time has also been indispensible for a lot of class prep that I never was able to get to before I left. The ABU campus has been very quiet and my schedule has been very flexible.

All of that is about to change this week.

I will make to jump to warp speed Monday morning, and I do not expect to slow down much if at all until Easter Break (which is also the week that Andrea and the girls arrive! Hooray!).

Monday (tomorrow) morning first thing I will be paying a visit to one of the children’s facilities with my 60 Feet friends even while the ABU student body will be pouring onto the campus. I will return to ABU in the afternoon for student registration, and classes start Tuesday morning.

In addition to the two classes I am teaching at ABU (Gospel of John and Missional Discipleship), I have also agreed to take responsibility for the Sports Class, and I have been asked to work on a couple of significant projects; 1) Establishing a discipleship emphasis among the faculty, staff and students, 2) Helping get the gym in a condition to use for sports, particularly basketball – this means getting goals put up and getting the floor finished, both significant undertakings given to the difficulty of obtaining the appropriate, necessary supplies, equipment and materials over here in Africa.

I will also be giving as much time as I can to the ministry of 60 Feet. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to assist this amazing ministry to imprisoned children in Uganda.

Finally, I will be giving time as I am able to my friends, Pastor Ernest and his wife Catherine and Pastor Boaz and his wife Faith and their congregation, Gateway Bible Church in Bwerenga. Bwerenga is a village between Kampala and Entebbe about 18 kilometers from the ABU campus (check out that metric system reference).

Speaking of Bwerenga, I do have to share a bit from my experience worshipping there today. Pastor Ernest asked me to preach, which is a great privilege and delight; they are such a warm, teachable, and appreciative audience, and passionate worshippers of Jesus. Today I witnessed in tangible ways how much they love their pastors. After the sermon a couple came forward and said that they were going to be recognizing and appreciating their pastors today. They proceeded to share how they owed their healed relationship and repaired marriage to God’s work in them through Pastor Ernest, Mama Catherine, Pastor Boaz and Faith, then the testimonies and gifts continued to pour in (among the gifts were two live chickens and a 100 pound bag of sugar!). One person after another – young and old, adult and child – came forward to share of how they had been loved, cared for, taught, mentored, parented and/or grand-parented by these two couples. It was a beautiful testimony to the power of the gospel at work transforming lives through humble willing servant-hearted people. What a great day.

This is longer than I intended, so I will wrap up with some prayer requests:
1.     Praise to God for giving Andrea and Hannah a great visit with old friends in Tuscaloosa and for using Andrea’s teaching in the lives of many of the women at the Warrior Presbytery Winter Women’s Event where she was speaker Saturday.
2.     For all of us as a family as we continue to be apart until Andrea and the girls come over in late March.
3.     For my teaching to be effective in training the students here at ABU to be leaders for the church in Africa.
4.     For my ministry with 60 Feet to be a blessing to the staff and the children with whom they work.
5.     For God to use my efforts to ignite a Life-on-Life Missional Discipleship movement at ABU that will spread across Uganda and East Africa.
6.     For Mama Catherine’s hand recovering from a bad infection after a puncture wound she sustained last week. She has been in a lot of pain and has had to make numerous trips to the clinic for treatment for her hand.

Keep your eyes peeled for a post this week from Andrea on the Atlanta end of this Africa Adventure (that’s your cue, Andrea!).

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment