Friday, January 11, 2013


On my way…

I am en route to Uganda, sitting at JFK, awaiting my flight to Amsterdam then on to Uganda. In the midst of the whirlwind we have experienced as a family for the past month, it has been hard to even think about what we are about to do. Consequently, I have not been feeling a sense of excitement or fear or anticipation or anxiety; I’ve just been too distracted…but not anymore. It is all becoming viscerally very REAL to me, and I have had quite a few moments the past day or so when I have thought to myself, “Have I lost my mind”? The response of some of those reading this will undoubtedly be: “Well, its about time he realized it”  - you have not just thought maybe I’ve lost my mind; you have known it!

Andrea back in Atlanta nailed it when I shared those thoughts with her about having “lost my mind.” Here is how she put it in a text message to me just a little while ago: “You have lost your mind, because of the cross.” There it is! In 1 Corinthians 1 the Apostle Paul says, “…we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” So, yes, in a sense I have lost my mind, and we go to Africa with our foolishness and weakness, but with the Wisdom and Power of God that is the Gospel. And there is our hope as we go and the hope we bring to Uganda – Christ crucified.

Andrea helped me further by sending me a picture of one of the children to whom we will be ministering during our time in Uganda. This “madness” we have embraced is for the glory of God and for the sake of people – real people – who just like me need both the message of the Gospel and the hands and feet of the Gospel every day. We go to take both, and we are trusting in God to transform lives by the power of that Gospel.

We plan to use this blog in the coming months to keep friends and family posted on what is happening in our ministry in Uganda and how to pray for us, both for me in Uganda and for Andrea, Hannah, Rachel and Maggie in Atlanta, then over here in Uganda, then back in Atlanta. So keep checking back for weekly updates.

For the Gospel and for Uganda,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment